Metso is a global supplier of technology and services to customers in the process industries, including mining, construction, pulp and paper, power, and oil and gas. Our 30,000 professionals based in over 50 countries contribute to sustainability and deliver profitability to customers worldwide. Expect results. www.metso.com
The Instrumentation Designer, Smart Equipment is a member of the smart equipment development and maintenance team. This position involves the design, specification, procurement, implementation, and support of instrumentation for the Smart Equipment initiative. This position reports directly to the SE Program Manager of the Kelowna Office of the Technology Development Group and reports indirectly to the Project Managers of the Smart Equipment Projects.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Detailed design of the Smart Equipment instrumentation systems.
• Implementation of the following, for specialized instrumentation:
a. Feasibility studies.
b. Hardware and software procurement.
c. Hardware assembly.
d. Testing and quality control.
• Implementation of the following, for standard instrumentation:
c. Installation supervision.
d. Commissioning assistance.
• Reports directly to the SE Program Manager of the Kelowna Office of the Technology Development Group
• Reports indirectly to the Project Managers of the Smart Equipment Projects
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL INTERFACES
• Coordinate Instrumentation team activity with:
o Embedded Systems team
o Electrical team
o Mechanical team
o Process team
o Other Smart Equipment teams throughout Metso
• Instrumentation system vendors and vendor partners
• Smart Equipment customers and customer partners
The ability to make decisions is important to this role, coupled with the authority to make those decisions.
• Decisions which involve the technical content of instrumentation system designs.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Degree in electrical engineering, Diploma of Technology in instrumentation or equivalent.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in instrumentation system design.
• Experience with standard process instrumentation required.
• Experience in heavy industry preferred.
• Experience with product feasibility analysis preferred.
• Experience with smart (ex: Hart) instrumentation preferred.
• Experience with distributed I/O design preferred.
• Experience with high speed I/O design preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Familiarity with project management processes and tools.
• A high level of computer skills is essential – Excel, Word and Access.
• Highly motivated individual with the ability to work under stress and meet deadlines.
• Strong communication, co-operation, interpersonal and presentation skills to manage internal and external interfaces.
• Ability and willingness to travel internationally.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to use keyboards, telephones, copiers, telefax, etc.
• Requires the ability to stand, walk, climb and/or utilize a sense of balance. Climbing of stairs, ladders, and scaffolds may be required at jobsites and customer facilities.